There are several ways to create your own Steampunk Goggles for a Steampunk party, Halloween or Cosplay for ComicCon. Today, I’m sharing the pair of welding goggles I steampunked for my “Stopping Time…Forever Thirty-Nine” birthday party.
DIY Steampunk Goggles
Since I was only going to wear my goggles as a headpiece for a few hours, I wanted to create something simple with easy to find materials and items I already had on hand. I had never steampunked anything before so I searched the internet for an easy to follow tutorial. (For detailed step-by-step photos and instructions, I recommend reading How to Make Steampunk Goggles on Wikihow.)
To get started, I purchased a pair of Welding Goggles along with a pair of Jewelers Clip on Eye Loupes at my local hardware store. After removing the lenses and straps, my husband spray painted the goggles metallic bronze and the lens pieces a metallic silver. Once the paint dried, I reassembled the goggles and “aged” them by dabbing black, gold and silver ink all over the goggles with a cloth and then rubbing it in to create an “aged leather” look. I then lightly brushed silver metallic paint over the air vents and let dry. Once the paint and ink dried, I added metal gears and brads on both sides of the goggles with super glue then attached the Loups. For the strap, I found a brown pleather belt in my closet that fit perfectly, YAY! Using a hole punch, I punched several holes on the belt and added metallic brads for embellishment.
I was so happy with the first pair I made, I went on to make a pair for my son. I used the same technique, but added mason jar lids for the lenses, copper wire and extra hardware to make it a bit more masculine.
I am by no means an expert on steampunk techniques, but this was the technique that worked for me and I hope you are inspired to to try something new too!
Thank you for visiting and God Bless!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links; however, all opinions expressed here are my own.
Metal Gears – Oriental Trading Company
Metal Gears and Clock Pieces – Out of the Box Papers
Are you fan of Steampunk? Follow my Pinterest Board!
Follow Michelle’s Party Plan-It’s board Steampunk Party Ideas // Michelle’s Party Plan-It on Pinterest.
- How to Make Cardboard Stand-Up Party Decor with Cricut Maker
- How to Make Simple DIY Christmas Ornaments with Cricut
- How to Host a Friendsgiving Celebration
- DIY 2 in 1 Fall Sign | How to Apply Heat Transfer Vinyl to Painted Wood
- How to Make Georgie's Paper Boat from IT
- Minnie Mouse Birthday Party Ideas
- DIY Teacher Mug | Gift Idea with Cricut
- Easy Ornament Popcorn Balls Recipe
- Make a Personalized Santa Sack for Neighbors with Cricut
- 10 Christmas Party Games and Activities
- 10 Fun Thanksgiving Ideas for Kids
- Lord of The Rings Party Ideas
- 4 Fun Father's Day Party Themes
- How to Personalize Your Cricut Explore Air 2 | Uploading Custom Images
- DIY Potion Bottles - Harry Potter Inspired Party Decor Ideas
- Cutting Vinyl with Cricut Explore Air 2™ - Beginner Craft
- Introducing the Cricut Explore Air 2™
- How to Plan a Disney Descendants Watch Party
- Canela Tea & Honey Gift Basket | Recipe and Free Printable
- You've Got a Friend in Me!