Last week I shared a lot of the details from our Harry Potter Birthday party with the promise of a couple of follow up posts. Today, I’m sharing how you can transform your home into your very own Hogwarts!
Of course you don’t have to go to the lengths my husband I went to in our home, parties are my passion and business after all. But you can create a simple backdrop easily with just a few essential items and I’m going to show you how for this week’s Whip It Up Wednesday!
Let’s get started!
Disclosure: As an OTC Blogger, I received certain items included in this post free of charge. All opinions are my own.
Hogwarts Inspired DIY Portrait Backdrop
I wanted to use something to cover our walls that would be lightweight and durable. I have used printed paper in my parties for years, so I knew that if I could find the perfect pattern, I’d be in business. Luckily I found a grey brick pattern that worked perfectly. Not only did it have a realistic look, it photographed wonderfully. I took about a hundred feet of paper to cover my Dining and Living room walls along with our foyer. I mixed it up a bit when I added some wood paper for our Honeydukes Candy Cart. I also added some black to the bottom walls in the foyer to seperate it from the main hall and give it more of a Hogsmeade look.
One of the iconic details from Harry Potter movies and books are the large and elaborate Hogwarts Portraits. I found the perfect cardboard Antique Gold Picture Frame Cutouts at Oriental Trading which were the perfect quality, thickness and design for our mini Hogwarts.
DIY Hogwarts Portraits
What you will need:
- Antique Gold Picture Frame Cutouts
- Printed Hogwarts Portraits
- Poster Hangers
Since these portraits would be for my personal use only, I simply did a “Hogwarts Portraits” google image search and printed several pictures that look like they’d be in Hogwarts. I have a large format printer so I was able to print them to fit the cutouts.
Once printed, I taped the portraits to the frames securing them in the back and hung them up with adhesive poster hangers. These held up very well because we had secured the paper to walls with extra tape and poster hangers.
Add as many as you can in your space and you’re all set for any Harry Potter themed celebration! Best of all this is super easy to do and easy on the budget.
If you’re planning a Harry Potter celebration, I hope you are inspired to create your very own Hogwarts area too!
- How to Make Cardboard Stand-Up Party Decor with Cricut Maker
- How to Make Simple DIY Christmas Ornaments with Cricut
- How to Host a Friendsgiving Celebration
- DIY 2 in 1 Fall Sign | How to Apply Heat Transfer Vinyl to Painted Wood
- How to Make Georgie's Paper Boat from IT
- Minnie Mouse Birthday Party Ideas
- DIY Teacher Mug | Gift Idea with Cricut
- Easy Ornament Popcorn Balls Recipe
- Make a Personalized Santa Sack for Neighbors with Cricut
- 10 Christmas Party Games and Activities
- 10 Fun Thanksgiving Ideas for Kids
- Lord of The Rings Party Ideas
- 4 Fun Father's Day Party Themes
- How to Personalize Your Cricut Explore Air 2 | Uploading Custom Images
- DIY Potion Bottles - Harry Potter Inspired Party Decor Ideas
- Cutting Vinyl with Cricut Explore Air 2™ - Beginner Craft
- Introducing the Cricut Explore Air 2™
- How to Plan a Disney Descendants Watch Party
- Canela Tea & Honey Gift Basket | Recipe and Free Printable
- You've Got a Friend in Me!