Father’s Day is just around the corner! Are you ready? If you are looking for a last minute gift idea, I’m excited to share this fun DIY gift for that movie-loving Dad for Whip It Up Wednesday!
This post is sponsored by DecoArt. All opinions are my own.
DIY Movie Night Marquee Sign
My husband loves movies and has his own home theater so obviously “Man Cave” related Father’s day gifts are always a huge hit with him. One year, we even celebrated Father’s Day with a Movie Night party!
Last year I decided on a fun DIY Movie Night Marquee Sign he could hang in his home theater. This is also a great party prop for Movie Night parties!
I found an unfinished wooden tray with some marquee lights and I thought together with some Americana DECOR paint they’d be perfect for a Movie Night Marquee Sign. So let’s get started!
Supplies Used: (Affiliate links)
- Unfinished Wooden Tray
- Marquee Light String
- Americana DECOR Satin Enamels
- American DECOR Metallics
- Paint Brushes
- Painters Tape
- Tape Measure
- Straight Edge
- Hot Glue
- Popcorn Box
- Movie Clapboard
Using Americana DECOR Satin Enamels, paint the tray in the desired color. I chose Black. Apply 1 to two coats depending on your desired coverage. Let dry overnight.
Using a straight edge, draw a line about 1 inch from the edge along all four sides on the backside of the tray. And mark every two inches for the drill holes for the marquee lights.
Add painters tape along the edge of the inside tray to prevent splitting when you drill.
Turn the tray over and with a small drill bit, drill a hole every two inches.
Turn over the tray again and drill a larger hole from the inside of the tray.
Remove the tape to expose holes.
Insert lights through holes from the back side of the tray. Cover lights with marquee bulbs. To secure the lights in the holes, add a dab of hot glue around each light behind the tray. Add batteries to the light string and glue the backside of the battery pack to the back of the tray.
Next, paint about 3/4 cup of popped popcorn with a brush. Let set overnight.
Assemble a store bought popcorn box and cut in half.
Secure the bottom of the half box with tape or glue and set aside.
Fold the top piece in half. This will become a “shelf” for the gold popcorn.
Glue the “shelf” to the inside of the half box.
Add a generous amount of hot glue to the bottom of the “shelf” and add the gold popcorn.
Continue to add glue and popcorn until the popcorn sticks out over the box top.
Hot glue the popcorn box and clapboard to the tray. Add Dad’s favorite movie with chalk and voila! Instant Movie Night Marquee!
And that’s it! A beautiful handmade, hand painted, hand embellished Movie Night Marquee for the movie-loving Dad!
What do you think? Give this project a try! I’d love to hear from you!
Looking for more Father’s Day party ideas? We celebrate Father’s Day every year, usually with a movie themed party. Check out my husband’s Movie Night, Nacho Libre and Indiana Jones parties from past years.
PIN FOR LATER!
- How to Make Cardboard Stand-Up Party Decor with Cricut Maker
- How to Make Simple DIY Christmas Ornaments with Cricut
- How to Host a Friendsgiving Celebration
- DIY 2 in 1 Fall Sign | How to Apply Heat Transfer Vinyl to Painted Wood
- How to Make Georgie's Paper Boat from IT
- Minnie Mouse Birthday Party Ideas
- DIY Teacher Mug | Gift Idea with Cricut
- Easy Ornament Popcorn Balls Recipe
- Make a Personalized Santa Sack for Neighbors with Cricut
- 10 Christmas Party Games and Activities
- 10 Fun Thanksgiving Ideas for Kids
- Lord of The Rings Party Ideas
- 4 Fun Father's Day Party Themes
- How to Personalize Your Cricut Explore Air 2 | Uploading Custom Images
- DIY Potion Bottles - Harry Potter Inspired Party Decor Ideas
- Cutting Vinyl with Cricut Explore Air 2™ - Beginner Craft
- Introducing the Cricut Explore Air 2™
- How to Plan a Disney Descendants Watch Party
- Canela Tea & Honey Gift Basket | Recipe and Free Printable
- You've Got a Friend in Me!